Thursday, March 12, 2009

Randomness...

Here is a bunch of randomness for ya, with photos!
First we got a new camera! I have wanted an SLR for awhile now and we finally got one. I'm super pleased with the quality of the pictures and we are both having fun with it!

Layne came for a visit! We surprised my family and I picked her up from the airport and had them come over and she opened the door instead and yeah, mom screamed....hahaha hilarious! But they were super surprised and we had fun with her! She was coming to spend time with the kiddos since we won't see her again until June :( I love me some Layney Poo!
Teagan is crawling and sat up by herself! Ok I'm just gonna say it, she is gifted...hehe but for real now! She is only 6 1/2 months! She must take after her momma ;) I told Chris she'd be walking at 8 months for sure!

My mom and I sewed another dress for Miss Teagan. I love it but can't find enough time to sew like I want. I definately could use better time management :)

We are throwing a sweet friend a Bridal Shower on Saturday and I'm gonna make cake balls. I'm super excited to see how these come out and taste. I will post pics!
Anyway to post pictures faster on here???
Well that's about all for now. Gauger has a bday coming up next month! 2!!! Where has time gone?! I'm having fun planning, Mickey Mouse this year :)



What up mom?

Yeah I'm cute!

She thinks she is great.


This is one fun kid. I would want to be his friend, he's hilarious!


His favorite things right now are anything with wheels. He LOVES rolling things all around.

Teagan's 2nd dress


Playing together :)

Aunt Layne!!

Front yard work and new flowers :)

I had fun making Gauge and Teagan their Easter pails :)

4 comments:

Beni Fam said...

I love the pictures. And absolutely love the second dress. I am in the process of learning to sew but I have been unable to find time to actually finish anything. Hopefully soon...

leah said...

pretty flowers in your yard! You and Layne are priceless - love your surprise idea & love to see you together again!

I like the Mickey Mouse Theme! and I think Teagan is a rock star.

leah said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Gauge. Don't be dismayed, though - it's normal (and YES, Genevieve throws tantrums too)! When children became visibly upset (note, I said "When" and not "If") in KM class, the parent USUALLY did what you did - take the child out until he calmed down. That's really the best thing to do. If they didn't take the child out, it really was distracting for the other children, and I sometimes would suggest quietly to the parent, "If you need to take him outside and talk to him, I understand." (like -- get the hint please!)

Remember, children at their age are limited in the way they can express themselves (but they are learning!), and they can easily get overwhelmed, overstimulated, tired, fussy, etc. Tantrums/crying are their way of showing frustration and expressing how upset they are. We as parents MUST be in better control of our emotions than they are - after all, we are the adults! We can say, "I see you're getting tired. Let's go home." or, "I know you want to roam around, but you must stay near me or we have to leave" -- then you do exactly what you say, and let Gauge know! "See, Gauge, you didn't stay near me, and when you do that, we have to leave." Don't bribe, just follow through, and try again next time. Tara, DO try again next week, and remind Gauge BEFORE you go in, that he must stay near you, standing, sitting, whatever, but he MUST stay near you or you have to leave. If he disobeys, then leave. If not, praise him after class (and during class) for how well he stayed near your side.

Tantrums are very normal behavior, and actually, some roaming around is accepted during some storytimes -- depends on the class. (Most parents in the room are very understanding and forgiving). Perhaps you could talk to the teacher beforehand, and find out exactly what is okay and not okay. It's not uncommon at all during our storytime at one library for the children to be walking around aimlessly while a story is being read. But at a different library it is unusual and not encouraged. The best thing to do is observe Gauge and the other children and see if he is becoming a problem.

One time Genevieve was a little more distracting than usual, and I also had to take her out of the room and explain that we were going home if she couldn't stay near me. We ended up going back in and "trying again," this time we laid low towards the back of the room, and she did much better.

Have you read Tracy Hogg's "Secrets of the Baby Whisperer for Toddlers"?? I thought it was very helpful in learning how to avert tantrums and "nip them in the bud" when you child is first starting to throw tantrums. EVERY child does it - and some children are more prone to them - depends on their personality. The key is to be consistent and to actually follow through and do something about it. It may be extremely embarrassing to deal with the first few times, but wouldn't it be better if you only had to deal with "a few times" in the beginning, rather than it becoming a continual, worsening problem?

I hope these suggestions help, Tara. Let me know how Gauge does next week.

leah said...

One more thing - you can't expect him to stay absolutely still. "Listening" to a toddler doesn't mean looking at the teacher. In my KM classes, I OFTEN would assure parents that, yes, their children were indeed learning, even if they didn't appear to be paying attention.

Many children interact differently in group situations than when they are by themselves at home. You'd be surprised at how many parents would say to me things like, "My son sings all these songs all the time at home, but when we arrive here, he just clams up!" Even children who seem to be more preoccupied with a chair in the room will learn all the words to "Old MacDonald" - children are pretty amazing little things!

I've noticed it often backfires if I "make" Genevieve sit and listen. With my experience as a KM teacher, I knew from the beginning that she would probably not sit still. You (as the parent) are probably more bothered by it than anyone else is. SO! Talk to other parents there - talk to the teacher. Find out what is acceptable and what is not. Furthermore - and you already know this, but just know your son and know what works best for him. No one else can teach you that... you're an awesome mommy, Tara, and don't let a tantrum tell you otherwise!